Shop My Outfit:
Today is my thirty birthday and all I can think of is the quote from 13 going on 30 “I wanna be thirty and flirty and thriving!” The thought of turning 30 just sounds so old but I’ve heard that your thirties are actually some of your best years. My twenties will be pretty hard to top as I had so many fun times with my friends, met my husband and got married, became a dog momma, traveled and started this blog. With that being said, my twenties weren’t always a piece of cake and I definitely learned that “adulting” is hard. So as I cheers my twenties good-bye and say hello to thirty, I’ve rounded up twenty things I learned in my twenties.
Photography By: LA Photography
1. Friendships evolve and change and friends come in and out of your life. Each friendship in your twenties was for a reason and has made an impact on who you are. After college people live in different cities, focus on their career, get married and start families. This obviously makes it a little more difficult to see these friends all the time like you use to. You have to make a conscious effort to keep in touch with the people you want in your life. The friends you have in your life by the age of 30 are there for a reason.
2. Say no to the people/places/things that don’t add value to your life. Learning to say no is one of the most empowering lessons you can learn in your 20’s and it just feel so good.
3. Don’t compare yourself to others. The comparison game gets the best of all of us and sometimes you might question why you haven’t achieved what others have already. Let another person’s success serve as motivation to push you to try harder and not to look at is as you aren’t as good as them. You are on your own path with your own strengths and struggles and everyone’s journey is different. You do you!
4. Girls nights are essential. Whether it’s watching a girly TV shows and cooking, shopping or going to brunch spending time with your girlfriends is just good for your soul. Plus lets face it, your boyfriend or husband most likely does not want to watch the bachelor and discuss all of the guys on it!
5. Once a cheater, always a cheater. Even if you think they will change, they won’t.
6. Your heart will get broken but it happens for a reason and will lead you to a better person.
7. Stop looking for love. It will find you when you least expect it.
8. Never settle. Don’t settle for mediocre friendships, jobs and relationships. You should be your own biggest fan.
9. Party, drink and have fun! You can never be old and wise if you weren’t young and crazy.
10. Hangovers are a real thing. Advil and pedialyte will be your new best friend.
11. Life is too short for cheap wine, champagne and liquor.
12. Wear sunscreen everyday and don’t step foot in a tanning bed. Spray tans are so much better for you and your skin will thank you!
13. It’s never too early to start anti-aging products. Those wrinkles show up out of nowhere!
14. Learn to fill in your eyebrows. It really makes a HUGE difference.
15. TRAVEL. Adventure always awaits and I believe that you will never regret investing in experiences over materialistic things. Traveling internationally has been such an eye opening experience and makes you realize how much is truly out there.
16. Your first job out of college typically won’t make you a lot of money or be your dream job. You have to start at the bottom and work your way up.
17. Save money every month (even if some months it is more then others) and set up your 401k, especially if your employer matches.
18. Eat healthy and work out. Your body and mind will thank you! With that being said, I believe in eating healthy 80% of the time and also letting yourself indulge the other 20% of the time. Give me all the carbs, Mexican food and pizza please!
19. Being a bridesmaid is expensive. While I never regretted being a bridesmaid for any of my friends, all of the dresses, showers and bachelorette parties do add up.
20. Appreciate and thank your parents. They were right all those years ago even if at the time you couldn’t see it.