Until last year, I had never been on an international flight that had taken me overseas. I had been to places such as Mexico, Canada and St. Lucia but all of these are flights that are still around four hours or less. The thought of being on a plane for nine hours or more kind of terrified me. What the heck was I going to do for that long on a plane? I am a chronic over-packer and knew I there was NO way I would be able to pack for a week long international trip in just a carry-on. I did want to make sure I packed a carry-on with items that would keep me entertained and help me feel my best (or as best as you can with jet leg) to my destination. After two international trips under my belt now, I have complied a list of items that I think are great to have with you and available on the plane.
Click on numbers to shop this board!
- Carry-On Bag. So of course you will need something to carry all your items in and this bag is durable and the quality if fabulous. It also has a shoulder strap, which makes it easier to carry and is great for if you have to switch planes.
- Sleep Mask. I have trouble sleeping on planes in general but a sleep mask (and some trusty ear plugs!) will help you get some much needed shut eye to help fight some of that jet lag. Might as well go all out with a cute sleeping mask if you are going to look ridiculous wearing one anyways!
- 2-in-1 Travel Pillow. This pillow has been a major lifesaver for me. Not only can you wear it as a neck pillow but also it transforms into a normal pillow, which is great to rest a book or iPad on.
- Fuzzy Socks. In general, feet and toes just gross me out. If you are going to be on a plane for a long time you will want to be comfortable. I always bring a pair of fuzzy socks so I can take off my shoes and not gross other people out around me. Plus, who really wants a confined space to smell like a bunch of feet anyways? Grossssss.
- Passport Cover. I always like to keep my passport in a bright passport cover so I can always find it in my bag easily. TIP: Take your passport out of the cover before you go through customs. Some of the guards can get a little feisty about having it on your passport…. this girl has learned from experience.
- Folder. I also bring a folder with all of my hotel reservations, extra copy of my passport and any confirmations I have booked in advance. It is nice to addresses to all of your destinations that way if you get in a cab and don’t speak their language you can just point to the address. God forbid something were ever to happen to my passport while overseas but I always like to have a copy just in case. I tend to leave this folder and my passport in the hotel safe while out exploring.
- Moisturizer. Recirculated air on a plane can dry your skin out very quickly. This travel sized moisturizer helps keep your skin hydrated and while still being the perfect lightweight coverage.
- Make-Up Wipes. I like to take my make-up off once I am on the plane so my skin can hydrate with some lotion. These also act as a great way to freshen up after a long flight with no shower!
- Sanitizer. Let’s face it planes are just gross. I make sure to use a sanitizer on my hands, on the trays and on the seat belt to prevent some of the germs. I’d rather be overly careful then get sick on my trip!
- Waterless Toothbrushes. These waterless toothbrushes have been a lifesaver on my last couple of trips. You can use them right in your seat so you don’t have to be that annoying girl getting up and down all the time. They also have a pick at the end, which makes it great for flossing. These are seriously the best!
- Eye Mask. For those of you who don’t sleep well on a plane like me, these eye masks are great for brightening and moisturizing your under eye. They leave your skin looking smoother and reduce those dark circles. I totally rocked an eye mask on my last international flight (much to my husbands dismay) and it truly helped my under eye bags.
- Kindle. It is always a good idea to have a books or magazines with you in case you aren’t into watching any of the movies for entertainment. Thank goodness for kindles and iPads because I couldn’t imagine having to lug all of those with me.
- Headphones. While on most international flights they provide you your own headphones, I like to bring my own that are a little higher quality. If you were looking to splurge on a set, these noise-cancelling headphones would also be perfect for a long flight.
- Portable Charger. A portable charger is a must have for any trip because who wants their phone to die in the middle of an amazing shot? I usually also pack a normal phone charger in my bag also, but a portable one is great back up for when you are on the go!
- Scarf. Planes always tend to be cold so I like to pack a large scarf that I can wrap up in if I get cold. If it is warmer outside, pack a lighter weight scarf that can still get the job done!
- Snacks. While I feel like you are constantly fed on an international flight, if you are in economy seats the food isn’t always the greatest. I always bring protein bars so I don’t get the complete hangries while in the air. Having these is also great if you have a connection at a small airport with limited eating selections.
- Chapstick. I am a chapstick addict in general so I of course need this on a long flight. You lips dry out just like your skin does on a plane so make sure you make sure you have your favorite chapstick handy.
*Some other items that I bring but are not pictures include:
- A change of clothes – If my main suitcase were to get lost, I would always want a back up outfit and underwear.
- Deodorant – I promise you will want to freshen up after sitting on a plane for a long length of time.
- Make-up Bag. – Since I take my make-up off once I get on the plane, I always need to reapply a little of the basics once I get closer to my destination.
- Pen – I always forget to bring a pen and then they hand out your customs form on your way home and you have nothing to fill it out with.
Comfort is KEY on a long flight and these are some comfy clothing items I would wear.
So these are my essential carry-on items for a long haul flight! I hope you find this helpful as I remember googling what to pack on my first flight. Am I missing must have items?